db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: New query language
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:14:24 GMT
Hi Jean,

I share your general sense of disappointment with SQL but I don't think
that this community could do much better.

1) SQL is a language designed by a committee. That's why it's so
sprawling and inconsistent. I think that, very quickly, another
community-designed language would be just as big and ambiguous.

2) Despite all the problems with SQL, it gets the job done. There's a
lot of inertia behind it and it would be tough to sell a new language to
the larger user community. That, at least, was my experience years ago
when I worked on an experimental database trying to do exactly what you
propose: design a next generation query language.

Regards,
-Rick