db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Preparing for potential Google Summer of Code
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2006 17:57:40 GMT
Hi, all.  It is possible that Google will want to do another Summer of
Code this year.  Google pays students to join open source communities as
interns for the summer.  While Google uses this as an opportunity to
identify the best and brightest up-and-coming coders, it is also a
useful opportunity for open source projects to get issues addressed, new
avenues explored and bugs fixed - and potentially to recruit new
community members and gain a raised public profile.

It would be great if Apache Derby could participate in this.  To do this
we need to be ready with an answer to the question "what would one or
more students do if they joined Derby for three months?"

It's important to be prepared.  With the Summer of Code site opens up,
we need to register our community, identify a contact point for the
project and mentors for the students and a list of potential projects.
Last summer there were only about 48 hours to respond from the
announcement before the program was fully subscribed.

What I'd like to suggest is the following:

- Who would like to be the contact point?  I am thinking Jean Anderson,
as our community liason extraordinaire.

- Put together a Wiki page with potential projects and mentors for each
project.  It would be great to have this regardless, as a way to
encourage participation.

If this sounds good, I can start the Wiki page, and then anyone who has
an idea for a project and/or is willing to mentor can update that page.

David