db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <sathe...@Sourcery.Org>
Subject Re: Putting all messages in messages.properties?
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:18:26 GMT

David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> The potential drawback is that the client-specific messages are now in
> engine-side properties files, which can increase the overall footprint
> of derby.jar.  My estimate is there will be no more than 200 messages
> (MAX) that are client-specific, and possibly quite fewer -- I am
> finding many opportunities for reuse of existing messages.

How about client footprint? If we have a single message file that
included all server and client messages, wouldn't that increase client
footprint a lot? Potentially there could be multiple copies of the
message files in CLASSPATH to support different languages?

derbyLocale_fr, for example, seems to be 71K in size.

Satheesh