db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Putting all messages in messages.properties?
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:42:45 GMT
I would like to understand what resistance there might be to putting all
messages in the single properties file, messages_XX.properties, and
using a build script to copy over the appropriate messages for the client.

Right now messages that are deemed "client only" are put manually into
clientmessges.properties.  But I am discovering this is a challenge
because (a) it's hard to ensure uniqueness across the two files and (b)
you never know when a message you put into the client file may actually
be useful later on to a class on the engine side.

The potential drawback is that the client-specific messages are now in
engine-side properties files, which can increase the overall footprint
of derby.jar.  My estimate is there will be no more than 200 messages
(MAX) that are client-specific, and possibly quite fewer -- I am finding
many opportunities for reuse of existing messages.

Thoughts on this are much appreciated.

David