db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Monitoring/improving code coverage (was Re: code coverage results for trunk - svn revision no 390306)
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 22:32:35 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> In previous lives, I've seen code-coverage metrics generated on, say,
> a monthly basis and used as a release barrier. I do not think they are
> appropriate as a barrier to checkin.

I think since we seem to be going for very long release cycles instead
of the release early, release often model, release barriers are not very
effective for maintaining quality on the trunk.  Also in open source,
developers come and go so the wait until release model doesn't tend to
work that well in that regard either.   If Linux could release a new
kernel twice a day,   I tend to think that the trunk should be "ready
for release" at any time for completed functionality and even
incremental functionality could be covered.

Kathey