db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Disussion surrounding holding off metadata changes until certain issues resolved
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 22:30:20 GMT

>http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
>

>>>The blockage was based on the fact that we once had an irreconcilable
>>>downgrade bug and seemed to be set up for that again.
>>>

>>What was the code change that caused this problem in 5.1? You have
>>provided symptoms of the problem. It would be good to understand the
>>code change that cause this symptom.
>>

>The code change was that in  5.1.60 there were new classes and methods
>that were added and referred to in  the metadata SQL  queries.  Going
>back to the previous version,  the metadata queries were still there but
>the classes and methods were not,  so it caused this failure.   In the
>10.1 codeline, this means  that no new functions  or syntax not
>compatible with older versions can be added to the queries.   Adding the
>drop on version change  except for read only databases seems the safest
>thing here to me.  It seems like it will be a long time before we have a
>10.2 release, who knows what will go in the 10.1 codeline.

I don't believe that the blocked patches have this defect. Am I wrong?

>>Again, I am not sure if DERBY-1107 should stop metadata developments.
>>Wasn't this "issue" present from the beginning?
>>

>It is a serious outstanding issue with the handling of metadata
>changes.  It would be good to see it resolved soon, because it is again
>one possibly needing time travel to resolve, but isn't stopping  any
>metadata changes from going in  now.

So, I'm unclear: Are you still blocking metadata changes or are you
satisfied with the analysis done so far by Knut Anders and Dyre? Can we
proceed with metadata checkins provided that:

1) Such patches clearly describe acceptable upgrade behavior
2) Clean upgrade test results accompany the submissions

Regards,
-Rick