db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Oystein Grovlen - Sun Norway <Oystein.Grov...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Should we vote on it? (was Re: Discussion (in preparation for a vote) on interface stability table)
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 12:19:57 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Remember this is open-source, there are no customers or "important
> customers", only users and developers.
>
> If a user doesn't like the solution they have at least two options:
>
>    - get involved in the Derby developer community
>    - patch the source
>
> I prefer the first.

Good point, Dan.

Users of Derby has several options when a new release break their
application:
    - Fix their application
    - Use the old release (i.e., not upgrade)
    - Pay someone (e.g. Sun or IBM) to fix their problem.
    - Get involved in the Derby community and suggest a fix to their
problem.
    - Patch the source by reverting the fix that causes problem for them.

I am pretty sure that there will case where it is NOT worth the extra
effort by the community to ensure that a specific user is able to upgrade.

I also think it is a violation of the Derby charter to NOT fix bugs or
correct sql-states for compatibility reasons.  The Derby charter states
that Derby is standard compliant.  If there are cases where it does not
comply to the standard, we have the obligation to fix that.

--
?ystein Gr?vlen, Senior Staff Engineer
Trondheim, Norway