db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Kathey Marsden (JIRA)" <derby-...@db.apache.org>
Subject [jira] Commented: (DERBY-1229) sysinfo and sysinfo_withproperties.java fail with java.lang.RuntimePermission getProtectionDomain when db2jcc.jar is in same dir as the derby-jars
Date Sun, 30 Apr 2006 18:49:38 GMT
    [ http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1229?page=comments#action_12377176 ] 

Kathey Marsden commented on DERBY-1229:
---------------------------------------

Thank you Bryan for the excellent explanation and preserving testing for  product compatibility
with documented  policy file permissions.   Preservation of  this testing  is  something you
will never hear requested on derby-user, nor will  you'll ever  hear a cheer  from the installed
user base that you made an effort to make sure we don't regress in this area, but  we  certainly
would  hear something if suddenly on upgrade existing policy files worked no more.   So, 
 thank you so much Bryan  for the extra effort.

Perhaps a follow up task could be filed  to improve the sysinfo warnings if this permission
is not granted  so that they are not so alarming.
 For Network Server we stress the importance of  running under security manager  and we provide
NetworkServerControl sysinfo to show version and other diagnostic info, so the assumption
 is that really anyone running NetworkServerControl sysinfo  is going  to see  these  getProtectionDomain
Exceptions.  It seems a little odd as the expected default output.  I am concerned that that
will confuse people in a diagnostic situation to think  that they need to add this  permission
to get useful sysinfo output or worse yet think it is the root cause of whatever problem they
are diagnosing.



> sysinfo and sysinfo_withproperties.java fail with java.lang.RuntimePermission getProtectionDomain
when db2jcc.jar is in same dir as the derby-jars
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>          Key: DERBY-1229
>          URL: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1229
>      Project: Derby
>         Type: Test

>   Components: Security, Test, Tools
>     Versions: 10.2.0.0
>  Environment: Solaris 10 x86
> Sun JDK 
> java version "1.5.0_06"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode, sharing)
>     Reporter: Vemund Østgaard
>     Assignee: Bryan Pendleton
>     Priority: Minor
>  Attachments: derby-1229.diff, notes.html
>
> The problem I've been seeing is that if I run:
> java -Dframework=DerbyNetClient org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest
derbynet/sysinfo.java
> in a configuration where my db2jcc.jar is located in the same directory as all the other
derby-jars, then the test fails with a diff caused by a RuntimeException. If I change nothing
else then moving that db2jcc.jar out of that directory (and making the appropriate classpath
change) then the test succeeds.
> The reason is that the test fails to get the permission for doing getProtectionDomain().getCodeSource()
on class com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2Driver. Below follows relevant output from my system that might
be useful to debug this:
> ---
> vo136787@khepri32:~/tmp/test> env |grep CLAS CLASSPATH=/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derby.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyTesting.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbytools.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbynet.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyclient.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyrun.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/junit.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/db2jcc.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/db2jcc_license_c.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/jakarta-oro-2.0.8.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyLocale_de_DE.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyLocale_es.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyLocale_fr.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyLocale_it.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyLocale_ja_JP.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyLocale_ko_KR.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyLocale_pt_BR.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyLocale_zh_CN.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyLocale_zh_TW.jar
> vo136787@khepri32:~/tmp/test> java -Dframework=DerbyNetClient org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest
derbynet/sysinfo.java
> *** Start: sysinfo jdk1.5.0_06 DerbyNetClient 2006-04-19 13:00:33 ***
> Initialize for framework: DerbyNetClient
> java -Dderby.system.home=/home/vo136787/tmp/test/DerbyNetClient/sysinfo -Djava.security.manager
-Djava.security.policy=/home/vo136787/tmp/test/derby_tests.policy -DderbyTesting.codejar=file:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/
-DderbyTesting.codedir=/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib -DderbyTesting.serverhost=localhost
-DderbyTesting.clienthost=localhost -DderbyTesting.codeclasses=file://unused/ org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl
start
> -- SecurityManager not installed --
> Attempt to shutdown framework: DerbyNetClient
> 14a15
> > [Unable to access Protection Domain or Code Source for class class com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2Driver:
access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission getProtectionDomain)] 2.4 - (17)
> 41a43
> > [Unable to access Protection Domain or Code Source for class class com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2Driver:
access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission getProtectionDomain)] 2.4 - (17)
> 69a72
> > [Unable to access Protection Domain or Code Source for class class com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2Driver:
access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission getProtectionDomain)] 2.4 - (17)
> Test Failed.
> *** End:   sysinfo jdk1.5.0_06 DerbyNetClient 2006-04-19 13:00:40 ***
> vo136787@khepri32:~/tmp/test> java org.apache.derby.tools.sysinfo
> ------------------ Java Information ------------------
> Java Version:    1.5.0_06
> Java Vendor:     Sun Microsystems Inc.
> Java home:       /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.5.0/jre
> Java classpath:  /home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derby.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyTesting.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbytools.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbynet.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyclient.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyrun.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/junit.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/db2jcc.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/db2jcc_license_c.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/jakarta-oro-2.0.8.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyLocale_de_DE.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyLocale_es.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyLocale_fr.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyLocale_it.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyLocale_ja_JP.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyLocale_ko_KR.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyLocale_pt_BR.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyLocale_zh_CN.jar:/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyLocale_zh_TW.jar
> OS name:         SunOS
> OS architecture: x86
> OS version:      5.10
> Java user name:  vo136787
> Java user home:  /home/vo136787
> Java user dir:   /home/vo136787/tmp/test
> java.specification.name: Java Platform API Specification
> java.specification.version: 1.5
> --------- Derby Information --------
> JRE - JDBC: J2SE 5.0 - JDBC 3.0
> [/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derby.jar] 10.2.0.0 alpha - (394991)
> [/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbytools.jar] 10.2.0.0 alpha - (394991)
> [/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbynet.jar] 10.2.0.0 alpha - (394991)
> [/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyclient.jar] 10.2.0.0 alpha - (394991)
> [/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/db2jcc.jar] 2.4 - (17)
> [/home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/db2jcc_license_c.jar] 2.4 - (17)
> ------------------------------------------------------
> ----------------- Locale Information -----------------
> Current Locale :  [English/United States [en_US]]
> Found support for locale: [de_DE]
>         version: 10.2.0.0 alpha - (394991)
> Found support for locale: [es]
>         version: 10.2.0.0 alpha - (394991)
> Found support for locale: [fr]
>         version: 10.2.0.0 alpha - (394991)
> Found support for locale: [it]
>         version: 10.2.0.0 alpha - (394991)
> Found support for locale: [ja_JP]
>         version: 10.2.0.0 alpha - (394991)
> Found support for locale: [ko_KR]
>         version: 10.2.0.0 alpha - (394991)
> Found support for locale: [pt_BR]
>         version: 10.2.0.0 alpha - (394991)
> Found support for locale: [zh_CN]
>         version: 10.2.0.0 alpha - (394991)
> Found support for locale: [zh_TW]
>         version: 10.2.0.0 alpha - (394991)
> ------------------------------------------------------
> vo136787@khepri32:~/tmp/test> java org.apache.derby.tools.sysinfo -cp
> Testing for presence of all Derby-related libraries; typically, only some are needed.
> For a list of possible arguments, type java org.apache.derby.tools.sysinfo -cp args
> FOUND IN CLASS PATH:
>   Derby embedded engine library (derby.jar)
>   /home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derby.jar
>   Derby embedded engine library (derby.jar)
>   /home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derby.jar
>   Derby Network Server library (derbynet.jar)
>   /home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbynet.jar
>   Derby Client libraries (db2jcc.jar)
>   /home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/db2jcc.jar
>   Derby Client libraries (derbyclient.jar)
>   /home/vo136787/derby/tmp/testbuild/lib/derbyclient.jar
> NOT FOUND IN CLASS PATH:
>   Derby tools library (derbytools.jar)
>    (org.apache.derby.tools.ij not found.)

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
If you think it was sent incorrectly contact one of the administrators:
   http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Administrators.jspa
-
For more information on JIRA, see:
   http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira


Mime
View raw message