db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Susan Cline <home4...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: Preparing for potential Google Summer of Code
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2006 20:16:36 GMT
--- "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouvering@Sun.COM> wrote:

> Hi, all.  It is possible that Google will want to do another Summer of
> Code this year.  Google pays students to join open source communities as
> interns for the summer.  While Google uses this as an opportunity to
> identify the best and brightest up-and-coming coders, it is also a
> useful opportunity for open source projects to get issues addressed, new
> avenues explored and bugs fixed - and potentially to recruit new
> community members and gain a raised public profile.
>
> It would be great if Apache Derby could participate in this.

I think this is a great idea, and I hope we participate in it.

[ snip ]

> What I'd like to suggest is the following:
>
> - Who would like to be the contact point?  I am thinking Jean Anderson,
> as our community liason extraordinaire.

Instead of suggesting who might be appropriate for this, how about if we
ask for a volunteer, instead? Jean may be willing to take this on, but
I think in the spirit of "scratching your own itch" it's feels better
to volunteer for a task without feeling like it may have been assigned to you.

Susan