db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: Signal to noise on derby-dev
Date Sun, 19 Mar 2006 15:13:11 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> writes:

> David W. Van Couvering wrote:
>
>> I don't know if any of you have noticed, but it's getting a bit thick
>> out there on this list.
>>
>> I have heard that the Apache Way is to maintain a single list for a
>> project regardless of how big it is.  But has anybody talked to the
>> veterans over at other big projects like httpd or Tomcat to get some
>> tips about how they manage the signal-to-noise ratio on their lists?
>>
>> How do individual contributors keep up with everything and not miss
>> things that might be important or relevant to them and their work?
>
> I think as Jean said keeping and changing subject lines to reflect the
> true discussion is vital. I don't think we do a good job here. I think
> sometimes we continue a discussion as Jira comments when really it has
> expanded to be a wider topic than that specific Jira entry.

Who decides when the discussion should move? When you ask about how to
solve a particular issue, should that not be done as a JIRA comment?

> For example
> there is some discussion about metadata queries and backwards/forwards
> comptability (I think) but it's hidden in one of the non-descript JBDC
> 4.0 Jira entries "add blah blah methods to blah blah class".

I'm sorry, can you be more specific? Which JIRAs are you talking about?

If you are going to add a method to a class, what should the title be,
exactly? Can you please give an example of a more descriptve title?

Thanks.

--
dt