db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Should we vote on it? (was Re: Discussion (in preparation for a vote) on interface stability table)
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2006 21:28:58 GMT
Friday, March 31, 2006, 9:34:30 PM CET, David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> I've updated the Wiki page to reflect some of this discussion and my
> sense of where things are ending up.  You can use the diff mechanism of
> the Wiki to see what's changed.

I was trying to understand all the different stability levels you
suggested on http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ForwardCompatibility, and
have one question:

Do we really have to differentiate between between a "Private" and a
"Private Unstable" interface?

If so, can you also explain to me why you are saying that "Private"
interfaces allow incompatible change at any time, while "Private
Unstable" only allows such changes at minor release? To me the term
"Private Unstable" certainly sounds less stable than "Private"...

--
John