db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Deepa Remesh" <drem...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hard vs. Soft Upgrade
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:26:23 GMT

> It appears that changes to the database are partitioned into two
> buckets: those accomplished by Hard Upgrade and those accomplished by
> Soft Upgrade. Examples of Soft Upgrade changes appear under item (2)
> under the heading "Upgrading System Catalogs" on the webpage
> http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/versionupgrade.html#Version+Upgrade+Mechanism.
> These are useful examples.

I was looking at this document and it is not very clear to me what can
be categorized as "safe changes" as mentioned in this statement:
"Apply "safe changes" from category 2) in a single transaction. An
example would be fixing incorrect information. ". I am looking at this
in the context of my work on the upgrade tests. Now, I am modifying
the master file for the test and I am not sure about one change done
as part of DERBY-475 (Add a system function mechanism and table of
functions, including a set of initial functions.). Current behaviour
is: the new functions are available after soft upgrade and downgrade
to old version after soft upgrade. Should these functions be available
after soft upgrade and downgrade ?

I would appreciate if someone can explain a bit more about what is
categorized as "safe changes".

Thanks,
Deepa