db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [doc] Java(TM) not getting rendered properly for html
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2006 00:55:02 GMT
On 3/21/06, Andrew McIntyre <mcintyre.a@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The output HTML is correct. It looks like your browser isn't honoring
> the charset attribute in the header. The header specifies the charset
> to be UTF-8, and the trademark symbol is properly encoded as such.

I checked Mozilla to see if it had this problem, and it does, and
playing around with it, I found that Mozilla properly sets the
encoding only if UTF-8 is uppercased in the document, which is not the
case here. So this is an issue that could be fixed by the DITA folks,
and maybe should be, since technically the ISO code is uppercase
letters. We could implement a workaround by editing the stylesheet
that writes the header to fix the casing.

I'm guessing this is a problem with Firefox as well, but I don't have
that handy right now to check. The problem could be fixed in Mozilla
as well, if they just ignored case when examining the charset
attribute. I found a couple of bugs in Bugzilla that looked like they
might be this one, but nothing that was an exact match.

andrew

Mime
View raw message