db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [web] Derby site reorganization (resend)
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:04:32 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>
>>http://db.apache.org/derby/index.html
>>
>>On the home page we have the "Quick Links" section but in my mind they
>>are not "quick" as I have to expand to see the list before I can click
>>on them.
>>
>>Can we just get them as a simple list, or even expanded by default?
>
> I asked forrest about expanding by default some time ago and was told we
> could do that in the "next release". I'll check the archives and see if
> that meant 0.7 (what we use now) or 0.8.

The feature was intended for 0.7, but hasn't been implemented (yet):

So, expanded by default is out for now unless we want to write our own
code to do it (and I don't).

Any comments on what I wrote below?

> If default expansion isn't
> available yet, then a simple list would work, but I would recommend
> removing the ASF and DB links to keep the list short:
>
>   Apache Derby
>   Charter
>   Quick Start
>   ASF                 <----- remove
>   Apache DB Project   <----- remove
>   Derby Wiki
>   License
>   FAQS
>
> what do you think?

> The other tab with lots of subcategories is the Resources tab. If
> default expansion isn't possible, would it be best to just list everything?

Regarding the Resources tab, listing everything would create a great
mishmash. I suggested leaving it as is with the "blocked" menu (i.e.,
you have to click to expand). An alternative might be to add more tabs.

thoughts?

thanks,

 -jean