db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Should we vote on it? (was Re: Discussion (in preparation for a vote) on interface stability table)
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:34:48 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

>I still need to think a lot about the whole major version boundary
>thing.  It seems like we like solaris will be set at the same major
>version for a very long time.   As I stated before I think for some
>things a time based approach seems most appropriate. You can expect your
>client to work with new servers for the next five years for example. We
>should  not just leave users trying to figure out how to upgrade  their
>server and all of their clients all in one night because we  bumped from
>10 to 11.

This is quite puzzling. I've never worked for an engineering operation
which could make this five-year guarantee. Personally, I don't know
anyone who has this kind of foresight. Five years is the classic
lifetime of a complex product before it needs an incompatible
overhaul/rewrite. What happens to the clients released in the last year
of that usable lifetime? Please provide more detail here.

Thanks,
-Rick