db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Should we vote on it? (was Re: Discussion (in preparation for a vote) on interface stability table)
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:26:50 GMT
I'll let you go ponder, but I guess I don't fully understand.  It is a
Bad Thing at any time to break client/server compatibility.  Hopefully
we never have to do it.  I guess my only point, and I think the point of
this Wiki, is that *when* we have to do it, we have to do it at a major
release boundary, and we will document clearly that there is an
incompatibility.

If we can make a change such that it only breaks compatibility with
major release - 2 (e.g. the change in 12.0 works with 11.x clients but
not with 10.x clients), that's great.  We can even agree to make this a
policy.  But to me that doesn't meant we can make the change at a minor
release boundary.

David