db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Should we vote on it? (was Re: Discussion (in preparation for a vote) on interface stability table)
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2006 18:04:46 GMT
I agree this sounds like a terrible model.  But we have to accept
reality, we *are* going to have bugs.  And if we can't fix those bugs in
a backward-compatible way, then it is more than likely that some Big
Huge Customer will refuse to upgrade.  I saw that at Sybase as well.
Perhaps the cost of supporting older codelines is ultimately a better
choice for our product than the spaghetti of micro-compatbility
if-statements and weird "behavior plugins" in the code.

I don't have an easy answer.  I agree we should strive for correctness,
and perhaps we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it.  I
think Rick's caveats are valuable, but I don't want them to be a
loophole that we then use to feel we have more free rein to break
compatibility.  But, saying that, knowing this lot I suspect we don't
have to worry about this, you can't sneeze around here without someone
worrying whether than sneeze was compatible with your last sneeze :)

David