db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Does in-place compress really defragment?
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:32:51 GMT
Øystein Grøvlen wrote:
> I tried an experiment with on-line compress and it seems like no space
> is freed unless I delete records at the end of the heap:

It does seem like the documentation allows for this:

           SYSCS_COMPRESS_TABLE is guaranteed to recover the maximum amount
           of free space, at the cost of temporarily creating new tables
           and indexes before the statement in committed. SYSCS_INPLACE_COMPRESS
           attempts to reclaim space within the same table, but cannot guarantee
           it will recover all available space.

Did you try your same experiment with full compress?

thanks,

bryan