db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: pushing back the freeze date for the JDBC4 work
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:13:04 GMT
Is there a reason a snapshot needs to have release notes?  That seems
like unnecessary overhead.  A snapshot is just that -- a quick drop of
the latest, right?  Or is there more to it than that.

I was actually hoping nightly builds could be made available for
download, whatever happened to that?

David

Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I think monthly would be a good interval. I think the Norway team has
> the machinery to generate full sets of jars, including documentation, on
> demand. From a previous thread, I got the impression that turning one of
> these productions into a "snapshot" involves bolting on some interim
> Release Notes, explaining the delta from the previous snapshot. Does
> that sound adequate or do you think a snapshot is fancier?
>
> Seems to me we have to balance some factors:
>
> 1) The cost of generating a snapshot. For me that cost is largely a
> matter of compiling the delta notes. Other people may incur other expenses.
> 2) The value of getting early feedback.
> 3) The cost of premature feedback on half-baked code.
>
> Regards,
> -Rick
>
> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>
>> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>

>>> I need to push back the freeze date for the JDBC4 work. The following
>>> issues have created more work than I originally estimated:
>>>
>>> 1) Upgrade issues raised by Kathey, tracked in DERBY-1107
>>> 2) Missing method signatures, tracked by DERBY-1146
>>> 3) The continued evolution of the JDBC4 spec itself