db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: [SHUTDOWN] Should I shutdown embedded data base ?]
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:16:29 GMT
Stanley Bradbury wrote:
> I believe (Oystein or someone in the code can you confirm this) that
> when Network Server is shutdown it basically performs the form 2 (ALL)
> shutdown of Derby before exiting (if it does not then a bug needs to be
> filed).

Right, this is the essence of my question. I think that this is the
issue that DERBY-51 is tracking: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-51

Several of us have read the code for Network Server shutdown, and it appears
to *not* be shutting down the databases right now.

But it's confusing, and I think more eyes are needed, so your help with
the experimentation and discussion is greatly appreciated here!

For example, your observation that the database lock file seems to stick
around would appear to be further evidence that NS shutdown is *not* shutting
down the database(s) properly.

View raw message