db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rajesh Kartha <karth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: tests for doc examples?
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2006 19:55:21 GMT
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been wondering and worrying about our doc examples.
>
> Before contribution to apache, we did a couple of passes to test and
> verify all doc examples. But this is a very time-consuming and
> error-prone process for various reasons: easy for an individual to
> miss a snippet, snippets are not written with tests in mind and don't
> easily follow on each other and so every snippet needs to have a
> separate test written...or get tested manually...
> Also examples continue to get changed and for new code we should get
> new examples, and we now have a demo database (toursdb) that we
> probably should try to use...And I don't see that anyone has time
> available to test all the snippets.
>
> I think we should have automated tests for the doc examples.
>
> Or at least as many as possible.
> I am thinking, it should be possible to extract the example code from
> the dita files and automatically build tests based on it.
> We could mark the snippets that are easy to be wrapped into an SQL
> examples one way, java snippets another, full java classes yet
> another, extract them, and refresh the tests that way...(nightly?
> monthly? at code freeze dates?)
>
> Maybe add a specific string to each example so we can search the dita
> files for that. Or maybe there already is a specific sort of
> property/tag for code snippets?
>
> This also has implications for the examples - they should be
> (re)written with wrapping into a test in mind.
>
> Does this seem doable/feasible/sensible?
>
> Myrna

+1. Would be really useful.

With the toursdb demo availabe in the codeline, I think all the queries
should work as is. A great deal of attention needs to be paid
to the results returned by the sample queries. I noticed, for ex.
DERBY-994, LEFT/RIGHT OUTER JOIN examples, the queries worked just fine
- but
the results and description did not make sense at all.

-Rajesh