db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Thalamati <suresh.thalam...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about checkpoint!
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2006 01:55:41 GMT
Raymond Raymond wrote:
> In current derby checkpoint implementation, a disk I/O burst
> will be caused during checkpoint. To solve this problem, I am
> trying to spread out the disk I/O of checkpoint over the checkpoint
> interval. I found there are several things that can trigger a
> checkpoint such as too much log generated since the last
> checkpoint,data backup, before data compress, when a database
> creation finished and so on. I am not sure should I spread out
> the disk I/O of all kinds of checkpoint? or just the one triggered
> when too much log has been generated since last checkpoint?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Raymond

> Powerful Parental Controls Let your child discover the best the Internet
> has to offer.

>  Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNĀ® Premium right now and get the
> first two months FREE*.

Depends on what is the effect on checkpoint operation by spreading out
the disk i/o.  If the checkpoints are going to take more time, then
doing this optimization may not be good idea  for checkpoint during a
shutdown. In other cases I would think it is ok if a checkpoint
finishes in a reasonable amount of time.

thanks
-suresht