db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Discussion (in preparation for a vote) on interface stability table
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:40:32 GMT


Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> David W. Van Couvering wrote:
> 
> 
>>Hi, all.  I would like to propose that we have a discussion, in
>>preparation for (at some time in the future) a vote on the interface
>>table I put together at
>>
>>http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ForwardCompatibility
> 
> 

Well, I don't think I'm the final arbiter of these answers, but here's 
what I would propose.  I can add these questions and answers to an "FAQ" 
at the end of the document.

> Would this set of rules drive the decision of when to
> declare a major release versus a minor release?

I think they would be one of the deciding factors, likely a major 
deciding factor.  I suspect other factors will be involved.

> 
> We currently don't have any rules about when we would
> change to 11.0 from the current 10.x pattern.

I think making an incompatible change to a Stable interface would 
require us to change to 11.0

> 
> Would it be because someone changed some "Standard" interface
> in an incompatible way that we move to 11.0?

If a standards body makes an incompatible change to a standard interface 
that we rely on, and we make the choice to upgrade to the new, 
incompatible revision of that standard, then, yes, I think we should 
move to a new major release.  I think that a standards body making an 
incompatible change to a standard is fairly rare, however.

> 
> If no-one made such a change, would be be having 10.14 in a number of years?
>

Yes, I think that's reasonable,  unless for "marketing" reasons we want 
to upgrade the version.  Solaris 10 is actually Solaris 2.10.  Solaris 
has been at the major revision of 2 for I think over 10 years.

David

> Curious,
> Dan.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 

Mime
View raw message