db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Oystein Grovlen - Sun Norway <Oystein.Grov...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Question about Grant/Revoke
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:59:36 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Oystein Grovlen - Sun Norway wrote:
>
>> I was thinking of exisiting applications running against existing
>> databases vs new applications on a new database; not both existing and
>> new application against the same database.  In other words, would it be
>> possible to turn it on automatically for new databases while new
>> versions  against old databases will work as before?
>
> What about existing applications creating databases?

Good question which would be applicable to any application running in
soft-upgrade mode.  One would have to use an old version to create
databases.  If this is a problem, it must be a problem with soft-upgrade
today.

> What about new applications running against existing databases?

GRANT/REVOKE would not be available to them, and I do not anyone is
suggesting that.

>> I just realized that what I ask for is soft upgrade.  In other words, do
>> we have to keep the old authorization as the default to provide for
>> backward compatibility?  Could we not just require that old applications
>> run in soft upgrade mode if they do not want to deal with SQL
>> authorization?
>
> I don't think so. What if an existing application wants to use
> performance improvements in the new release, or be slightly modified to
> use JDBC 4.0 or updateable result sets?

I would think both performance improvements and updateable result sets
would be available in soft-upgrade mode.  Some new features may not be
available but if they already rewriting their applications, I do not
think it should be much extra work to setup SQL authorization to mimic
the legacy mode.

--
?ystein Gr?vlen, Senior Staff Engineer
Trondheim, Norway