db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Discussion (in preparation for a vote) on interface stability table
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:39:52 GMT
Hi, all.  I would like to propose that we have a discussion, in
preparation for (at some time in the future) a vote on the interface
table I put together at

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ForwardCompatibility

The approach I was thinking of is:

- everybody who is interested take a look at this table, and raise
issues as needed

- discussion ensues as needed

- I will incrementally update the Wiki page when it seems there is a
consensus on a particular issue

Once things have somewhat stabilized (and where there is contention,
people are starting to repeat themselves :)), I'll then I'll hold a
vote.  The vote email will contain the relevant text and the interface
table from the Wiki page, so that we know what we're voting on and so
that it ends up in the archives.

This interface table would be for the next release of Derby (10.1.3 or
10.2, whichever comes first).

I would like to suggest that if you want to discuss the stability
classification of a *particular* interface, you do so with a separate,
specific email subject line, so that those who may be interested will
notice and participate.

How does this sound?

Does anyone think we need to vote on the interface taxonomy and the
definition of an interface separate from the stability classifications
given to each interface?

David