db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Compatibility guarantees for SQL states and messages
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:13:35 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> Thanks, Kathey.  What if I find an existing SQLState in the embedded
> code that uses a Derby-specific SQL State but which I think really
> should be a standard SQL state?
>
> For example, I think 42X89 ("Types ''{0}'' and ''{1}'' are not type
> compatible. Neither type is assignable to the other type.") really is a
> case of the standard SQL State 22005 - "error in assignment"

Ideally since these SQLState's are from the SQL Standard there should no
"I think" about changing any. It should be driven from the
specification, e.g. text that says "... then an exception condition is
raised: data exception — error in assignment."

In this specific case '22' is a data exception, some exception raised
due to the value of the data. '42' is a compile time error, in this case
raised because the types are not assignable to each other, not because
the specific data values are not assignable to each other.

We just need to be careful when selecting errors to ensure we are using
SQL states correctly.

Dan.