db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Derby interface stabilities
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 20:16:04 GMT
The discussion of the stability of SQL States inspired me to finally
apply what I've learened here at Sun in terms of explicitly declaring
the stability one guarantees for each interface and applying it to Derby.

I have updated Dan's forward compatibility page with a draft of what
this might look like.  Dan, I took all the interfaces you called out and
merged them into the interface table, and added many more, as well as
some background information around interfaces and stability definitions.

I think one component that is still missing is: what does it mean to
make an incompatible change, for various types of interfaces?  As an
example, it's OK to add a column to an existing system table, but not OK
to change the type of an existing column; it's OK to add columns to the
result set of a metadata query; it's OK to add a method to an existing
interface but you can't change an existing method, and so on.

Please see http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ForwardCompatibility, and
modify or comment as you see fit.  It is not necessarily my itch to be
the one responsible for maintaining this interface table; I hope that's
something that can be shared across a number of us. But I did want to
get something out there for us to look at and start discussing.

David