db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Compatibility guarantees for SQL states and messages
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 00:36:24 GMT
Hi, all.  I looked at the listing of Derby's public APIs (see
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ForwardCompatibility), and it mentions
"Derby's JDBC support".

I need to delve in a little deeper.  Are we guaranteeing compatibility
for the SQL States?  For the 10.2 release, is it OK for me to change the
SQL State of an existing message, or do I need to keep it the same
across minor releases?

What about the text of messages?  I noticed that we changed these
between 10.0 and 10.1, so I'm assuming these can change across minor
release boundaries.  What about across patch releases?

Thanks,

David