db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <sathe...@Sourcery.Org>
Subject Re: Show tables
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:04:03 GMT

Håvard Mork wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I was thinking about the possibility to extend IJ to allow 'show
>tables', and possibly 'show table'. Having worked a lot with mysql, I
>was missing these commands when I first started working with Derby,
>and I would be glad to see them introduced.

I think this is a very good idea... I have been seeing requests for this
kind of IJ commands from the beginning of Derby project. :-)  I believe
these can be implemented as IJ only commands very easily.

>Is this a good or a bad idea? 'Show tables' is not standard sql
>standard, but the 'select' syntax for listing tables seem to differ
>between most database systems. I would suggest implementing 'show
>tables' as an alias for a query to sys.systables for printing table
>names.

Are you thinking of adding them as SQL statements that engine
recognises? I would rather see them as IJ commands, that only IJ
understands. There are several IJ commands that are not recognised in
engine... like GET CURSOR for example. It should be possible to add
several new IJ commands that translate into regular SQL statements
against system tables to display required information.

Satheesh