db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Øystein Grøvlen <Oystein.Grov...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Soft Upgrade and Downgrade
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:05:28 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> First of all I want to say that there is a great dependence on soft
> upgrade in the installed user base so if the community decided to
> deprecate soft upgrade (which I am strongly against) it would need to be
> just that a deprecation and some solution to the current usage models
> would need to be found in advance.   So this is not a 10.2 discussion.

I am not suggesting that we should deprecate soft upgrade.  I was just
reacting to your claims that soft upgrade was providing a lot of
wonderful stuff that is actually provided by automatic upgrade (soft or
hard).

I think it is good to have soft upgrade as part of an upgrade path in
order to be able to revert to the previous version in case of problems.
  I am bit more concerned about recommending users to run in soft
upgrade more or less permanently since this mode is much less tested
than a standard configuration.

--
Øystein