db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [web] derby web site reorg
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:49:54 GMT
scott hutinger wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>>2) Added a "Quick Start" page, linked to on the Home tab and the home
>>page. (Tapestry has a Quick Start page that is also a tab.)
>>
>>Good idea? What about the name? Any suggestions for content?
>
> I like this a lot.  Although the IDE shouldn't be eclipse only.

Are there any writeups on how to use Derby with other IDEs?  I'll
happily add links to any.

In particular, are there any tutorials that show how to use NetBeans 5.0
with Derby? http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UsesOfDerby has a link to a
4.1 example, which I can include in the meantime:
http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/alexismp/?anchor=derby_the_database_java_was
.

If anyone has time to do a NetBeans writeup for the Derby Wiki or web
site, that'd be really nice.

>>3) Home tab gets a "Quick Links" section, which many apache sites seem
>>to have
>>
> The asf link might want to show that it leaves the derby site.  I
> don't know the best way to do this, or if it's really a good idea.

other apache sites don't appear to be concerned about showing when links
leave the current site. For example, see http://geronimo.apache.org/ and
http://forrest.apache.org/ .

>>4) Added a "Download" tab to make downloads even easier to find.
>>(Geronimo and XmlBeans have Download tabs.)
>>

> I can't really tell from the downloads, which download I want.
> Possibly some more information about what is different between then
> all.  Possibly a changes, diff between them all.  Also, it would be
> nice for a while to have the snapshot first, some type of
>
> I like it.  The main thing I do not like, is the download page.  It's
> too out-of-date, I would like to see the latest and greatest on the
> top.  Going down in whatever order sounds good.  This is my thought
> only, as I like new... :-)
> I do like the mods, looks nice.

I agree the downloads page could use a complete rewrite. For example, it
mixes in how to check out and build the derby code, which could be split
out into a developers-only page.

thanks for the feedback!

 -jean