db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Halting metadata enhancements until regressions, core testing issues and infrastructure issues resolved
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:16:42 GMT
As mentioned in DERBY-970 I think we should hold off on metadata
enhancements until  current  regressions, testing issues and perhaps
core infrastructure issues are resolved.

I see four issues with metadata.

1) Testing issues.
    - We have no testing for upgrade in out test suite and metadata is
very sensitive to soft upgrade.  We need to have upgrade tests in the
suite (DERBY-514) before enhancing metadata.

2) Regressions:   There are two known product regressions in soft
upgrade related to metadata and soft upgrade DERBY-1120 and DERBY-1124.
These issues need to be resolved before we enhance metadata further.

3) Core issues of metadata maintenance.  Currently metadata queries are
not properly maintained between maintenance versions DERBY-1107 meaning
there is no way to fix a bug in metadata.   Also  the core issue of how
to maintain metadata for soft upgrade needs to be resolved.

4) Metadata is very sensitive to client/server compat since it is based
stored procedures defined by Derby and not part of the DRDA standard.
There is no compatibility testing in place for this.

I think at least 1 and 2 need to be resolved before we  checkin more
enhancements to DatabaseMetaData.
I would vote for 3 to be resolved first as well. Perhaps those who are
working on metadata issues could collaborate on the Wiki to resolve
these issues.

Kathey