db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From scott hutinger <s-hutin...@wiu.edu>
Subject Re: [web] derby web site reorg
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 03:33:29 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> I looked at the organization of a bunch of Apache sites then focused on
> these three:
>
>   geronimo.apache.org
>   xmlbeans.apache.org
>   jakarta.apache.org/tapestry
>
> Then started playing with a possible web site reorg for derby. I put a
> draft here (without any binaries to keep the size small):
>
>    http://people.apache.org/~jta/DerbyTest/
>
> Below are the modifications:
>
> 1) Some time ago somebody mentioned the blue menu on the left was too
> dark. It turned out to be easy to change it to beige in the forrest
> config file.
>
> Is beige an improvement?
> Or leave it blue?
>
> 2) Added a "Quick Start" page, linked to on the Home tab and the home
> page. (Tapestry has a Quick Start page that is also a tab.)
>
> Good idea? What about the name? Any suggestions for content?
I like this a lot.  Although the IDE shouldn't be eclipse only.

> 3) Home tab gets a "Quick Links" section, which many apache sites seem
> to have

The asf link might want to show that it leaves the derby site.  I
don't know the best way to do this, or if it's really a good idea.
> 4) Added a "Download" tab to make downloads even easier to find.
> (Geronimo and XmlBeans have Download tabs.)

I can't really tell from the downloads, which download I want.
Possibly some more information about what is different between then
all.  Possibly a changes, diff between them all.  Also, it would be
nice for a while to have the snapshot first, some type of
> 5) Combined Manuals and Papers into a "Library" tab. (Idea from
> Geronimo: it says Library on the left-hand menu and has a Documentation
> tab -- I like "Library").
Looks very nice, although the overview isn't intuitive at first, but
it is after seeing it once.  One might want to have more links at the
overview, although this might not be the case.

> I also Renamed "Manuals" to "Documentation".
This is good...

> 6) Renamed "Integration" tab to "Resources" (idea from XmlBeans)
> "Integration" has always struck me as awfully specific and not everyone
> might understand what it means.
> Also, I simplified the links on the tab -- felt it was too cluttered.
>
> do you like it? hate it? any suggestions?

I like it.  The main thing I do not like, is the download page.  It's
too out-of-date, I would like to see the latest and greatest on the
top.  Going down in whatever order sounds good.  This is my thought
only, as I like new... :-)
I do like the mods, looks nice.