db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [web] derby web site reorg
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 01:23:52 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> I like all of these changes, just a couple of comments:
>>2) Added a "Quick Start" page, linked to on the Home tab and the home
>>page. (Tapestry has a Quick Start page that is also a tab.)
>>
>>Good idea? What about the name? Any suggestions for content?
>
> This is nice, my only addition would be at the top, a link to the
> download page, seems like downloading it is the first thing people
> should do, but maybe the assumption is that they'll download it first

good idea -- thanks!

> and then come to this page? It would be nice if there were some way to
> direct people hitting the Derby site for the first time directly to
> this page. Link a big, bold link on the front page that reads "New to
> Derby? Click here!"

How about a "Quick Start" tab like Tapestry has? --It's easy to do. I've
been cautious about adding too many tabs, but this draft for Derby has
only 5 and one more would work.

I'll do one so people can see what it looks like.

>>4) Added a "Download" tab to make downloads even easier to find.
>>(Geronimo and XmlBeans have Download tabs.)
>
> It's weird that you click the Download tab and it takes you the
> download part of the Home tab, but I'm guessing that's just a Forrest
> thing.

It's a "feature", but only because I didn't provide more stuff for a
download tab. However, I also played with another config for the
download tab that would display just:

   Overview
   License
   10.1.2.1

Could also do ...

   Overview
      How to build Derby
      How to test Derby
      How to submit a patch
   License
   10.1.2.1

In other words, we could add a link to any spot on the page that you
think is strategic.

(There's an obscure odd side effect to this: you can't also list the
main download page on the home tab if you go this route.)

I put these suggestions here:

   http://people.apache.org/~jta/DerbyTest2

How does it look? (btw, the 10.1.2.1 download link won't work, in case
anyone tries it).

and thanks for the feedback!

 -jean