db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject [web] derby web site reorg
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2006 23:52:26 GMT
I looked at the organization of a bunch of Apache sites then focused on
these three:

  geronimo.apache.org
  xmlbeans.apache.org
  jakarta.apache.org/tapestry

Then started playing with a possible web site reorg for derby. I put a
draft here (without any binaries to keep the size small):

   http://people.apache.org/~jta/DerbyTest/

Below are the modifications:

1) Some time ago somebody mentioned the blue menu on the left was too
dark. It turned out to be easy to change it to beige in the forrest
config file.

Is beige an improvement?
Or leave it blue?

2) Added a "Quick Start" page, linked to on the Home tab and the home
page. (Tapestry has a Quick Start page that is also a tab.)

Good idea? What about the name? Any suggestions for content?

3) Home tab gets a "Quick Links" section, which many apache sites seem
to have

4) Added a "Download" tab to make downloads even easier to find.
(Geronimo and XmlBeans have Download tabs.)

5) Combined Manuals and Papers into a "Library" tab. (Idea from
Geronimo: it says Library on the left-hand menu and has a Documentation
tab -- I like "Library").

I also Renamed "Manuals" to "Documentation".

6) Renamed "Integration" tab to "Resources" (idea from XmlBeans)
"Integration" has always struck me as awfully specific and not everyone
might understand what it means.
Also, I simplified the links on the tab -- felt it was too cluttered.

do you like it? hate it? any suggestions?

thanks,

 -jean