db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hard vs. Soft Upgrade
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:13:03 GMT
Deepa Remesh wrote:

> On 3/22/06, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:
>
>>It appears that changes to the database are partitioned into two
>>buckets: those accomplished by Hard Upgrade and those accomplished by
>>Soft Upgrade. Examples of Soft Upgrade changes appear under item (2)
>>under the heading "Upgrading System Catalogs" on the webpage
>>http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/versionupgrade.html#Version+Upgrade+Mechanism.
>>These are useful examples.
>

> I was looking at this document and it is not very clear to me what can
> be categorized as "safe changes" as mentioned in this statement:
> "Apply "safe changes" from category 2) in a single transaction. An
> example would be fixing incorrect information. ".

Does this help (javadoc for DD_Version.applySafeChanges)?

http://db.apache.org/derby/javadoc/engine/org/apache/derby/impl/sql/catalog/DD_Version.html#applySafeChanges(org.apache.derby.iapi.store.access.TransactionController,%20int,%20int)

> I am looking at this
> in the context of my work on the upgrade tests. Now, I am modifying
> the master file for the test and I am not sure about one change done
> as part of DERBY-475 (Add a system function mechanism and table of
> functions, including a set of initial functions.). Current behaviour
> is: the new functions are available after soft upgrade and downgrade
> to old version after soft upgrade. Should these functions be available
> after soft upgrade and downgrade ?

Are you saying these new functions are available with 10.1 after 10.2
has run against a 10.1 database?

I would expect them to be not available when running 10.1, they are
runtime functions provided by the 10.2 engine.

Dan.