db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Soft Upgrade and Downgrade
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:40:34 GMT
The way I look at it, derby has a very nice default.  We call it soft
upgrade, but in my mind it really is "no upgrade".  We guarantee that
if you do nothing to your existing app, then you can run it and the
database against your current version of the derby software and all
future versions of the derby software.  I think this is a reasonable
"automatic"  default.

Because we provide no way to "go back" with database versions I believe
it is reasonable to require the very slight user intervention of
connecting and requiring the upgrade=true flag.  If you want to use new
stuff then you proactively tell us.  This model is really important if
we ever decide to do some sort of major data upgrade where the cost
of hard upgrade may be hours depending on the size of the db and number
of rows touched.