db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: svn commit: r387640 - in /db/derby/code/trunk/java/testing: ./ org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests/master/ org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests/suites/ org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests/tests/jdbc4/
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:10:02 GMT
Hi David,

A couple responses follow. Cheers-Rick

David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> Hi, Rick, this looks great, thanks for this work!
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> - Is there any reason these weren't written as JUnit tests?  I suspect
> the answer is (a) they were originally written before the JUnit
> framework was in place and (b) it was too much work to migrate as part
> of this patch.

Most of these tests are, deliberately, canon-less assertion-based tests,
which, as you note, would be natural fits for JUnit. You're right about
why these weren't coded under JUnit: the framework wasn't in place yet.
It would be good to migrate these to JUnit, but that wasn't my itch
here. I just wanted to fix the framework problem so that people could
add new tests that follow our usual conventions.

> - I noticed in a couple of places you directly call
> System.getProperty("framework").  Shouldn't these be in privileged
> blocks?  Or is this only an issue with JUnit tests because they
> require JUnit to be able to access properties unless you use a
> privileged block?

You're right, this will be a problem when these tests are converted to
JUnit.

> I'm just curious -- how did you get ij.startJBMS() to work?  I got
> "null" whenever I tried to do that in the JDBC4 tests, as did others...

Dunno. It just works for me. If you've got a moment, could you
test-drive these changes in your environment to verify I haven't broken
the jdbc4 tests for you? For the record, I'm running with jdk1.6 build 76.