db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Oystein Grovlen - Sun Norway <Oystein.Grov...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Soft Upgrade and Downgrade
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:00:34 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> 3) It appears that we expect to be able to run down-rev clients against
> up-rev servers running against down-rev data. For the most advanced
> server rev, the clients can range over all previous versions and so can
> the data. If there are N previous versions, Soft Upgrade creates N*N
> additional code paths which we have to test.

Is there really a need to provide soft upgrade from one release to any
newer release?  Would it be possible to limit these code paths my saying
that soft upgrade is not only provided to the next major release.  E.g,
in order to upgrade from 10.0 to 10.2, one would have to go through the
following steps:

1. Do a soft upgrade to 10.1
2. Verify that everything works and there is no reason to revert to 10.0
3. Do a hard upgrade to 10.1
4. Do a soft upgrade to 10.2

> 4) What is the customer problem solved by Soft Upgrade? Why can't we
> require that the server and its data be at the same rev level?

As far as I have understood, soft upgrade is used in order to be able to
  downgrade back to the old version.

--
Øystein