db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Oystein Grovlen - Sun Norway <Oystein.Grov...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Soft Upgrade and Downgrade
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2006 08:50:14 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> There is some info here:
> http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/versionupgrade.html#Version+Upgrade+Mechanism
>
> I think we could safely add metadata to the list of items requiring
> upgrade thought.

This provides useful on how it is supposed to work, but is there any
guidelines on what a developer has to do in order to support this?  If
this is not available, could someone provide pointers to where in the
code to look for examples on how this is done?  Some aspects that comes
to mind is the code needed to:

- convert the data from the old format to the new format on hard upgrade.
- prevent functionality from being used in soft upgrade mode.
- use the old format in soft upgrade mode.

--
Øystein Grøvlen, Senior Staff Engineer
Trondheim, Norway