db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Signal to noise on derby-dev
Date Sat, 18 Mar 2006 20:04:41 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> I don't know if any of you have noticed, but it's getting a bit thick
> out there on this list.
>
> I have heard that the Apache Way is to maintain a single list for a
> project regardless of how big it is.  But has anybody talked to the
> veterans over at other big projects like httpd or Tomcat to get some
> tips about how they manage the signal-to-noise ratio on their lists?
>
> How do individual contributors keep up with everything and not miss
> things that might be important or relevant to them and their work?

I think as Jean said keeping and changing subject lines to reflect the
true discussion is vital. I don't think we do a good job here. I think
sometimes we continue a discussion as Jira comments when really it has
expanded to be a wider topic than that specific Jira entry. For example
there is some discussion about metadata queries and backwards/forwards
comptability (I think) but it's hidden in one of the non-descript JBDC
4.0 Jira entries "add blah blah methods to blah blah class".

Dan.