db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Signal to noise on derby-dev
Date Sat, 18 Mar 2006 04:08:34 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:
> I don't know if any of you have noticed, but it's getting a bit thick
> out there on this list.
>
> I have heard that the Apache Way is to maintain a single list for a
> project regardless of how big it is.  But has anybody talked to the
> veterans over at other big projects like httpd or Tomcat to get some
> tips about how they manage the signal-to-noise ratio on their lists?
>
> How do individual contributors keep up with everything and not miss
> things that might be important or relevant to them and their work?

you can actually look at mail list metrics here:

http://people.apache.org/~coar/mlists.html

mean posts per day (as of just now when I checked) are ...

derby-dev 31.49
derby-user 7.32

The highest hitters seem to be ...

commons-dev@jakarta.a.o  50.07
tapestry-user@jakarta.a.o 41.52
dev@maven.a.o             68.34
users@maven.a.o           45.58
users@myfaces.a.o         46.59
users@spamassassin.a.o    40.87
user@struts.a.o           54.57
user@tomcat.a.o           52.39

Great tips are here:
http://www.apache.org/dev/contrib-email-tips.html

Helpful tips include:
 >  Take the time to clearly explain your issue and write a concise
email message. Less confusion facilitates fast and complete resolution.
Everyone will benefit from the extra time on your part. The less
unnecessary discusion, the better.

However, balanced by the next line:

>  Every contribution is worthwhile. Even if the ensuing discussion proves it to be off-beam,
then it may jog ideas for other people.

And my favorite:

>  Use sensible and concise email subject headings. Search engines, and humans trying to
browse a voluminous list, will respond favourably to a descriptive title.

Also, I see management on several lists for managing new topics with new
subject headings to avoid one subject from getting overly cluttered
(doesn't always work, but it's a good goal):

>  Keep each topic focussed. If some new topic arises then start a new discussion. This
leaves the original topic to continue un-cluttered.

 -jean