db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Soft Upgrade question
Date Sat, 18 Mar 2006 02:24:53 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>So if soft upgrade with alpha is run against an existing database are
>you saying that database should not longer be accessible by any released
>version of Derby?
Yes I think this is best.   Once you upgrade to the pre-release version,
you cannot go back to 10.1 or up to 10.2

>Just trying to understand what your definition of
>"modified" is in this case.
Basically modified would mean that the database has run some risk of
corruption because of  exposure to pre-release software that it might
carry with it when it moves  to the supported versions. Allowing a
database to go to a release version after alpha exposure means cases
could come in for corrupted databases that once upon a time were
corrupted by alpha software. Nobody will know that was what caused it
because when the case is reported, sysinfo only shows  the current
supported version.

I think that what we want to provide is an easy way to try out
pre-release software on a *copy*  of your database but make sure that
copy  doesn't ever end up in production.   I was disappointed that the
restore from a 10.1 db wouldn't work as it would have  provide an
intuitive interface for this.

View raw message