db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Soft Upgrade question
Date Sat, 18 Mar 2006 00:34:03 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> Satheesh Bandaram wrote:
>

>>I find current behavior inconvinient... I am trying to understand why Derby
>>doesn't allow soft-upgrade from previous releases.
>>

> Regardless of  whether we provide a mechanism  allow soft upgrade,  I
> think that databases that have been modified  by alpha software should
> not be accessible by a released Derby version  and thus be allowed carry
> any undetected corruption  with them into a supported production
> environment where we really can't tell that it was the alpha software
> that did the damage.

So if soft upgrade with alpha is run against an existing database are
you saying that database should not longer be accessible by any released
version of Derby? Just trying to understand what your definition of
"modified" is in this case.

I wonder why if the alpha/beta checks were removed in one direction, why
they would not be removed in the other direction? Not sure I'm in favor
of removing any of the restrictions, but it seems strange to disallow
some things and not others. Either we try to protect users or we say
it's open source, use the alpha/beta at your own risk, anything could
happen.

Thanks,
Dan.