db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Upgrade testing
Date Sat, 18 Mar 2006 00:32:42 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Can someone point me at a primer which describes how developers test
> soft and hard upgrade? There is some customer-oriented discussion of
> upgrade in the Developer's Guide and on the Wiki (at
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UpgradingTen). But I can't find any
> pointers on the testing web page (java/testing/README.htm).

Rick pinged me off-line and asked me to respond to this question about
upgrade testing.

There are some upgrade tests checked into
java/testing/org/apache/derbyTesting/upgradeTests. There is a script
there that you can run easily but it is not integrated into the test
suite or in the README.  Doing this integration has been a long open
issue:  DERBY-514.   Until recently it has apparently been nobody's itch
to pick this item up.  Deepa recently started working on it and found
many diffs that have yet to be fully analyzed. Most problems seem
related to the metadata based on the product regressions she has filed
so far (DERBY-1124) (DERBY-1120) .  I also filed (DERBY-1107)  an
existing  problem related to changing metadata in maintenance versions.
All three issues seem related to how to handle changes to the metadata
queries.

This is really the first significant feature  release of  Derby after
the initial release, so really the first time ever we have to deal with
upgrade and compatibility,  how it works in practice or how it is
tested.   I think that is a collective and fairly urgent itch that needs
to be scratched.   I think Deepa's proposal in DERBY-1076 was good, that
we first focus on getting the  test running in the harness and then it
will be easier for everyone to run and analyze.  I think I would add
that we should hold off on metadata checkins and other changes that
impact upgrade until  the upgrade  test is  working to a point that it
can test for regressions and be updated to test new features.   Please
review Deepa's patch for DERBY-1075 to help move this effort along.

Thanks

Kathey