db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Soft Upgrade question
Date Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:03:14 GMT
Satheesh Bandaram wrote:

>I find current behavior inconvinient... I am trying to understand why Derby
>doesn't allow soft-upgrade from previous releases.

Regardless of  whether we provide a mechanism  allow soft upgrade,  I
think that databases that have been modified  by alpha software should
not be accessible by a released Derby version  and thus be allowed carry
any undetected corruption  with them into a supported production
environment where we really can't tell that it was the alpha software
that did the damage.

So whatever mechanism we provide to allow that should clearly
communicate that this copy of the database is never going to see a
production Derby  release again.

Kathey