db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <sathe...@Sourcery.Org>
Subject Re: Soft Upgrade question
Date Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:27:25 GMT

Oystein Grovlen - Sun Norway wrote:

>> Instead of using export & import of data to a new engine,  users can
>> restore from the backup on the same version of the engine at diffent
>> location and then do the testing by setting
>> "derby.database.allowPreReleaseUpgrade=true"
>

> I tried to find a description of this property, but was not able to.
> Can this be use to be able to upgrade from alpha to GA?

I think this property was designed mainly for Derby developers to test
their upgrade code during development phase. I don't think this property
should be exposed, in current form, to users... since this property also
allows full upgrade in addition to soft upgrade from previous GA
releases to ALPHA releases. To get balance between need to get early
testing for ALPHA releases and need to protect production databases, may
be we could alter the property so allow 'softUpgrade' or 'fullUpgrade'
values, like:

    derby.database.allowPreReleaseUpgrade=softUpgrade|fullUpgrade

If the property is not set, Derby could reject either form of upgrades
to ALPHA/BETA releases. SoftUpgrade option would only allow soft upgrade
to pre-release versions and fullUpgrade would allow hard upgrade as
well. Then may be this property can be documented and strongly
discourage use of fullUpgrade, except for Derby developers.

Satheesh