db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Oystein Grovlen - Sun Norway <Oystein.Grov...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Question about Grant/Revoke
Date Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:16:01 GMT
Satheesh Bandaram wrote:

> No... Default authorization model in Derby 10.2 is still legacy mode..
> So if you create a database without setting sqlAuthorization property,
> you shouldn't be able to do GRANT/REVOKE. Only if you have the property
> set to true, SQL authorization would be enforced. This is to maintain
> backwards compatibility.

At some time in the future when GRANT/REVOKE support is more complete,
would it be possible to have some way to turn on SQL authorization
automatically when GRANT/REVOKE is used for the first time?  I think
that could improve ease of use without breaking backward compatibility.

I am not suggesting we do this for 10.2 since I think the limitations
enforced to be able to guarantee backward compatibility for future
releases, will probably lead to more confusions that the lack of
GRANT/REVOKE.

--
Øystein