db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Soft Upgrade question
Date Fri, 17 Mar 2006 03:43:53 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Satheesh Bandaram wrote:
>>Deepa Remesh wrote:

>>I find current behavior inconvinient... I am trying to understand why Derby
>>doesn't allow soft-upgrade from previous releases. I have several customers who
>>are waiting to try some of the fixes/improvements we have been making in 10.2
>>ALPHA, but the only way they can try 10.2 Alpha is by recreating their current
>>database schema and export/importing data for every table into 10.2.
>
> would DdlUtils help them then?
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/integrate/db_ddlutils.html

But DdlUtils isn't a silver bullet. :-) I see it as most useful for a
customer who wants to make a copy of the current production database and
migrate it to an alpha/beta version of Derby to test the new release.

But if a user produces a database on an alpha/beta Derby release, then
wants to migrate that database to the official Derby release, there
could still be problems. For example, if the users takes advantage of a
feature in the alpha/beta release that drops out of the final official
release, for whatever reason, that part of the migration won't work.

 -jean

<snip>