db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <sathe...@Sourcery.Org>
Subject Re: Soft Upgrade question
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:49:13 GMT
Deepa Remesh wrote:
  <pre wrap="">On 3/16/06, Rick Hillegas <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:Richard.Hillegas@sun.com">&lt;Richard.Hillegas@sun.com&gt;</a>
    <pre wrap="">When I run a 10.2 server (built from the mainline) and try to connect
a 10.1 database, I get the following error:

ERROR XJ040: Failed to start database 'testdb10.1', see the next
exception for details.
ERROR XCW00: Unsupported upgrade from '10.1' to '10.2 beta'.

Does this mean that soft upgrade is not working?

I find current behavior inconvinient... I am trying to understand why
Derby doesn't allow soft-upgrade from previous releases. I have several
customers who are waiting to try some of the fixes/improvements we have
been making in 10.2 ALPHA, but the only way they can try 10.2 Alpha is
by recreating their current database schema and export/importing data
for every table into 10.2. I see several advantages to allow
soft-upgrade only, even to Alpha and Beta releases...<br>
  <li>Increases changes of community testing new 10.2 Alpha release
before it becomes GA. We would like to find issues before Alpha release
goes GA, but users may find it inconvinient to test Alpha or Beta
releases and may choose to wait for GA, unless they really have to.</li>
    <b>ALPHA</b>. Would that prevent 10.2 Alpha databases from trying
Beta software?</li>
  <li>Soft-upgrade is a great model catch regressions in existing
functionality early.</li>
I can see why Derby doesn't support full upgrade in ALPHA mode...
Catalog changes or information saved in catalogs may not be finalized
during development and allowing full upgrade would be hard to support
many intermediate versions of catalogs. For example, Grant &amp; Revoke
work has been adding catalog changes in batches without having to
support many intermediate versions. But is there a reason to disable
soft-upgrade, with loud and clear warnings about software being <b>ALPHA
</b>quality and we mean that at the download site?<br>
    <pre wrap=""></pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Upgrades to alpha/beta versions are not supported by default. For
testing purposes, we can specify a system property
"derby.database.allowPreReleaseUpgrade" to true to allow upgrade to
pre-release version. Please take a look at the upgrade tests where
this property is used.

View raw message